Photo Services and Copyright
Our department offers the public the opportunity to purchase images from the University's signature collections. This completed Image Request Form must be submitted by mail, fax, or email, to the attention of Catherine Larkin, Digital Initiatives Librarian.
Copyright and Ownership
The B. Davis Schwartz Memorial Library retains copyright over all images from the collection that it reproduces and distributes. Any publication or reproduction of these images in any form or medium, i.e. print, photographic, film, digital, etc., or for whatever purpose, is prohibited without the library's permission. Each item must be credited to the collection as follows, "Courtesy of the B. Davis Schwartz Memorial Library, Long Island University." Links to the Library's website should link to the following web address: <http://www2.liu.edu/cwis/cwp/library/libhome.htm>. The Library may request a copy of the work that incorporates material from its collection.
Fees and Delivery
There is a fee for each image requested. High resolution images will be printed on quality photo paper to your specifications (not to exceed 11x14"). The purchaser is responsible for shipping costs. Images may also be sent electronically. Please contact Catherine Larkin for fees and more information.
Terms and Conditions for Electronic Publishing, Photographic and Web images - B. Davis Schwartz Memorial Library
- The Library does not grant permission / rights in perpetuity FOR COMMERCIAL USE, but only for a period of three years with an option to renew.
- The Library grants permission for ONLY ONE usage in a single publication, video or other electronic modes. Full credit lines must clearly appear exactly as indicated by the library.
- In film, video, or other electronic modes; full credits lines can be run at the end of the program.
- Image editing and cropping without prior approval is strictly forbidden.
- Permission is given for use of the physical image for publication only. It does not assume any responsibility for any copyright infringements of the existing laws. This work may be protected by copyright law and permission to use it is your sole responsibility.
- The Library requires any Online/Web images to be watermarked or to clearly state that the Library holds ownership of the image. Users can obtain a photographic copy by contacting the Library directly.
- The Library restricts the resolution of online images to 72 dpi or 96 dpi with a maximum measurement of 300 pixels. Any other resolution must be requested directly from the Library.
- The Library requires that it be informed if the images will be used for the homepage and whether the images will appear more than once on the site.
- Full credit lines must clearly appear exactly as indicated below by the Library. Collection Credit: B. Davis Schwartz Memorial Library.
Links to the Library's website should link to the following web address: <http://www2.liu.edu/cwis/cwp/library/libhome.htm>.
- Any breach of these terms and conditions may result, at the sole discretion of the Library, in the revocation of permission to reproduce with the right to seek other remedies, including damages. Permission to reproduce is granted in writing upon Departmental Curatorial approval and receipt of full payment of all photography and reproduction fees. Permission is usually sent upon completion of the photography request.